System Snapshot for Micro Focus ALM Software
Change Tracking Comes To ALM
Organizations implement custom roles, permission sets, workflows, reports and rules within ALM to allow the software to support their software development efforts. Without an effective way to manage this information, ALM becomes more difficult to operate. System Snapshot for Micro Focus ALM provides essential tools to capture, inspect and compare over 15 different sets of configuration items, including
- user groups, assignments and permissions
- field settings and transition rules
- lists and dependencies
- report queries and settings
- workflow code
System Snapshot can serve a system of record that facilitates discussions with project stakeholders, and creates essential documentation for verifying compliance with organizational access rules. Snapshots are stored in Microsoft Excel format, which allows them to be easily shared outside of ALM.
Incremental Backups Not Enough
As a best practice, most organizations back up their ALM repository filesystems and databases every day, incrementally. This is essential for the preservation of data for disaster recovery purposes.
However, incremental backups are ineffective for change tracking:
- Daily backups only capture one image a day, and changes can occur more frequently than that
- Incremental backups make it nearly impossible to know when a change occurred without restoring multiple backups
- Restoring backups is cumbersome and time-consuming and requires DBA support
System Snapshot provides an intuitive UI that makes creating and comparing snapshots a breeze, without the need for IT or DBA support.